Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vegan???

So as many people know I started a 21 day jump start VEGAN diet.  Yep, that's right.  VEGAN...no meat, no eggs, no milk.  There were some great lessons I learned about myself during those 21 days.

1.  Almond Milk is actually much more satisfying than cow milk when it comes to protein shakes, putting on cereal etc.  Soy Milk is not bad either.
2.  Beans can have an unfortunate effect on my digestive system...worse than oysters.....but like all things, you have to be careful with the AMOUNT and TYPE of beans you consume in a 24 hour period.  I highly recommend you avoid consuming black beans, chick peas and green beans three times each in a 24 hour period.....too embarassing to report what happened!!!  (hahahahaha)
3.  It is okay to not consume meat.  I can actually go without it........

So the first week after the 21 days, I will confess...I ate a pepperoni pizza, Arni's Jr, taco salad, something else that for the life of me I can't remember, and then grilled sirloin burgers.  And had no weight loss that week...

So this week, the challenge has been to go ahead and eat some non-vegan meals (I am shooting for 80% vegan, translated that means 4 meals a week can be non-vegan) but to watch portion control and still choose wisely.  It was nice to eat with Mom at Rosewalk today, but I am still finding different recipes to try.  And who would have thought that I would be buying tofu and TVP on a regular basis.

SICK>>>I must be crazy.  I did lose 8 pounds in those 21 days....and that was following a 5 pound weight loss the first week back from the cruise (where I followed my typical diet) so 13 pounds in a month was great!!!  Last week, no weight loss but this week I should be down another 2 pounds.

My goal, is to stay off all carbonated beverages (that's hard) and artificial sweetners til I reach my goal weight.  So am hoping to toast in the New Year with a TaB or two!!!!

In the meantime, my next race is the 15K in 4 weeks.  Haven't trained as much as I should...but my runs when I do get them in are good.  Better than last year when I trained indoors almost completely, this year am training outside.  Stay tuned!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so inspired by you. Have you read the book Eat to Live? I read it last winter and tried to go Vegan for a few weeks and felt pretty great. I eat soy milk on my cereal in the mornings now and prefer it to cows milk too! It was fun to eat such nutrient rich foods and feel so energized. Unfortunately, morning sickness put a stop (for the moment) on my healthy diet. Now all I want to eat is cheese and sour cream... and I do.

    Good luck on your 15k! I am excited to hear how it goes! (And it goes without saying but 13 pounds in a month?!?! Awesome!)

    ReplyDelete