Saturday, October 8, 2011

R.I.P. Chairman Meow

In May 2009, This stray cat came into my life...at the same time I became an empty nester!  He adopted me and basically tolerated me.  Though I have never considered myself a cat person, Chairman Meow persuaded me differently.  As he continued to win me over he gradually not only ruled the outside but the inside and even moved into town with me!!!

Unfortunately, last month's gum/mouth infection triggered a more underlying serious condition.  Chairman had not been himself the last 24 hours so I took him into the Purdue Small Animal ER room today only to discover that not only was the infection back (with another abscess) but that last month's episode had trigger his underlying HIV and feline leukemia.  So he was in horrible pain, unable to eat, and seriously dehydrated.  His prognosis was poor even if given blood transfusions, the vet could not guarantee that he would survive the weekend, and of course his long term prognosis was extremely poor.  So I made the decision that every pet owner dreads, and Chairman is now pain free and somewhere in pet heaven making his acquaintance with Spooky, Shadow, Peanut, Toppy, Groucho, and all my other pets.  Sad day for me, but think of it this way.

That cat had a great run with me!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. :( This post makes me sad! I feel like I got to know Chairman Meow via the blog. RIP kitty.

    ReplyDelete